?

Log in

No account? Create an account
This week's work has focused on glue code: making it so that you have… - Spectre Gruedorf Challenge Blog [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Spectre Gruedorf Challenge Blog

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[Apr. 21st, 2008|03:00 am]
Spectre Gruedorf Challenge Blog

spectreblog

[mad_and_crazy]
This week's work has focused on glue code: making it so that you have an actual engine instead of 'an editor, and a rendering loop.' The main accomplishment here is that I finally bit the bullet and started work on object creation: placing objects in SLED that then compile into the map data and are then instantiated on new map creation (as opposed to map load/save from stored data, which will be fun let me tell you). The actual object fields are from an XML table, are compiled into a binary format depending on what sort of field they are, and are then passed to an instantiated class, either C++ or Ruby, with the same name as the object in the XML table.

It would be smart to let objects auto-register their fields in SLED. But that isn't going to happen, at least not right now. Plus, there is a certain joy in keeping the map format general purpose and not tied to specific data structures. Anyhow, the code to create objects is in, and I'm busy hacking in the code to let you edit the fields. Next up: the saving. And then the Ruby glue code.

I'm hopeful that we'll actually be able to create and distribute games with this... soon. Like, really, really, before May 1st soon. That's supposedly when people move into my new office (now with desks!) and try to actually make a game with this thing. Hoo boy.

The actual measurable progress: I got the Darin model working correctly with physics. The only remaining issue is that, due to his size, if you line him up along the edge of a wall, he will sometimes tip over. Time to set some inertia tensors or something.

A picture with Sully is here. and here is his sad Octopus Buddy. I apologize that the pretty lighting is gone; I went in here today to take some shots and found it set to ridiculous test values. Also, the shadowmaps were broken and a little debug screen was up showing me the contents of the map - so I'm not sure what I did to warrant that. Ugh.
LinkReply