||[Aug. 31st, 2008|08:37 pm]
Spectre Gruedorf Challenge Blog
I spent far, far too much time last week working on a demo for Daniel to take to PAX of our WIP game using the engine. A lot of stuff got done. Daniel put in a new UI and a lot of better camera code, David put in graphics for the new UI, and Jesse built another damn level and tiddlied up what we already had. Some notable accomplishments:|
- Light placement now works in editor. It's a little bit of a hack, in that it ties into the existing "object creation" system, and if you create an object of a type named "Light" with a light VisProp you get actual lighting data exported correctly during the compiler stage. So I'm not wild about that, but enh, whatever. They *should* be objects, darnit.
They also need, er, little icons of spotlights and things. Also, some lighting is still bollocksed in the orthogonal views in SLED; I got it working in the orthogonal views with the in-game camera, so I suspect that there's some horrible hack hiding in the codebase from 2003 or so.
- Point lights, after a series of misadventures with coordinate systems, now actually work. That's important.
- Particle systems: now have all the correct define-y bits, and you can load and save various particle systems, expressed as various combinations of emitters, from and to another XML data file.
- Figured out some physics problems with Bullet, namely how to turn physics off and how to make particle system explosions knock physics. (Note to self: "Apply Impulse", not "Apply Force.")
- All the depth buffering and translucency stuff now also works with the deferred renderer.
There's probably more, I'll figure out what else we did next week. Right now it is time for catching up on other neglected stuff and sleep, blessed sleep.